Everyone can help clean up our waterways.
- Direct flow from your gutters to a garden designed to soak up the rain
- Don't wash clothes or dishes during the rain to avoid adding water to already filled sewers: Give it 24 hours if you can
- Don't put fats, oils or grease down the drain; They can clog sewer pipes and cause basement backups or sewage overflows
- Invest in water-friendly practices like green roofs and green parking lots
- Pick up the dog poop
- Wash your car on the grass, or at a commercial car wash and not on your driveway or in the street
- Go light on fertilizers and pesticides in lawns and gardens
- Don't dump chemicals or oil down storm drains; Look for hazardous materials disposal options in your community
- Don't flush prescription pills down the toilet. There are take back programs for these unwanted or expired prescriptions. Check with your local law enforcement.
Source: MSD, Kentucky Waterways Alliance